Integrated Farm Project in Tigaon, Philippines

Friday, January 8, 2010

Neem tree


COMMON NAMES:

Nim, Margosa Tree, Indian Lilac, Bead Tree, Pride of China, Divine Tree, Holy Tree, Persian Lilac, Neem Tree, Nimba.




General info
A tree belonging to the mahogany family known as the "free tree" because of its ability to "free the soil." Popular in the Philippines, more for its insecticidal properties (pang-lamok) than for its medicinal applications. In India, it is considered the most useful traditional medicinal plant, and commericially beneficial as each part of the tree has some medicinal property.


Botany
Medium-sized tree growing to 15 meters high, with wide spreading branches formiing an oval crown. Leaves are nnately compound. The droopingleaflets are 1 cm long, paired, lanceolate, acuminate with serrated margins. The blade is shiny dark green on the upper surface and pale green on the underside. Flowers are numerous, small, white and fragrant.


Distribution
Not widespread in the Philippines. A good shade tree. Propagated by seeds.


Chemical Constituents

From the seed is produced a bitter fixed oil, nimbidin, known as "Oil of Margosa" or neem oil. Neem seeds yield a fix oil of glycerides and bitter compounds including nimbin, nimbinin and nimbidol. Neem bark and leaves contain tannin and oil.
Azadirachtin, the insecticide constitutent of the seeds, is biodegradable, non-mutagenic, and nontoxic to birds, fish, and warm-blooded animals. The EPA has approved a neem formulation Margosan-O) as a pesticide for limited use on nonfood crops.


Properties and biologic properties
Antiinflammatory (nimbidin, sodium nimbidate, gallic acid, catechin, polysachharides).
Antiarthritic, hypoglycemic, antipyretic, hypoglycemic, diuretic, anti-gastric ulcer (nimbidin)
Antifungal (nimbidin, gedunin, cyclic trisulfide) Antibacterial (nimbidin, nimbolide, ahmoodin, marrgolone,margolonone, isomargolonone) Spermicidal (nimbin, nimbidin)Antimalarial nimbolidfe, gedunin, azadirachtin) Antitumor (polysaccharides) Immunomodulatory (NB-II peptoglycan, gallic acid, epicatechin, catechin) Hepatoprotective (aequeous extract of neem leaf) Antioxidant (neem seed extract)


Parts used and preparation
Whole plant..


Uses:

Folkloric
Poultice of leaves for swollen glands, brusies and sprains.
Fresh leaf-tea used for malaria.
Tree and root barks have been used for malaria, jaundice, and for intestinal parasitism.
Edible pulp of the fruit used for hemorrhoids.


Ayurvedic medicine
Leaf- leprosy, intestinal parasites, eye problems, skin ulcers
Bark - pain and fever.
Flower - bile suppression, intestinal worms and phlegm.
Fruit - piles, intestinal worms, urinary disorder, nose bleeding , phlegm, eye problem, diabetes, wounds and leprosy.
Twig - cough, asthma, piles, intestinal worms, spermatorrhoea, urinary disorders, diabetes.
Gum - ringworms,scabies, wounds and ulcers.
Seed pulp and oil- leprosy and intestinal worms.


Others
Young tender branches are chewed for toothbrushing use.
Leaf's oil is used as a local antiseptic and insecticide.
Neem oil may be useful for gingivitis.
In the rural areas, burning of leaves and seeds used as mosquito repellant.
Neem oil has been shown to possess some spermicidal and contraceptive properties when used intravaginally.
Use of neem oil in animals showed lowering of glucose


Commercial use
Neem extracts used in the manufacture of toothpaste for its antibacterial properties.
Fresh seed oil has a strong garlic odor and is an ingredient for insect sprays.

Availability
Wildcrafted. Available in cybermarkets as supplements, oil, cakes, extracts, and organic manure.



----------------------------
NEEM Herbal Capsules is available at MAHATA COTTAGE, Quezon Mem. Circle, QC
Look for BAL DOMINGO tel# (02) 4802193

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud to say now that I am finally at a place where I have found something that works for me. Almost four years ago I began seeing a classical Homeopath. I was put on a constitutional remedy by Dr Itua herbal center who reside in west africa, and I am amazed at my healing thus far. I will continue to post what worked for me and what didn't in more blogs to come (as this one is getting quite long... and I'm not writing a book here - not yet anyway). This discovery has not only helped the way I practice, but it has also given me further insight into the world of Herbal medicine. I came to know more about Dr Itua on Tv Station when I was taking my regular organic coffee at javamania coffee spot I watched the whole scene on how he uses Natural herbs to cure disease like Herpes, Hiv/Aids, Cancers,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Multiple myeloma, Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,Alzheimer's disease, chronic diarrhea, COPD, Parkinson's disease, Als And Diabetes, I was moved by his words then I took a confident step to contact him regarding my health condition Herpes & Prostate Cancer, He prepared his herbal medicine then sent it to me through Courier which I took as it's was instructed and I found myself healing symptoms are all gone I have being watching my health for years now and I finally confirmed that is a permanent cure like he told me at our first conversations so now I'm healthy and happy I purchase his herbal tea which I usually take in the morning before starting my day because it feels good to find addiction on natural herbs than medical drugs so is what I'm doing and loving it more and More to come later on blogs sooner I will be writing my book.
    I will advise you to contact Doctor Itua Herbal Center for any kind of permanent cure and herbal remedy.
    Doctor Itua Email Contact: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Also On Whats-App Calls: +2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete